18.11.08

a blog is individual empowerment

Right now is the best time to enter the world of PR. Today’s communities and businesses rely on public relations to form effective communication strategies. With the expansion of media outlets, there are greater opportunities for public relations messages in today’s market. From blogging to social networking, these online trends are invaluable for the public relations world.

Public relations is no longer characterized by the large PR firms with traditional press releases. With the increased popularity of blogging, individuals are empowered with the opportunity to create their own form of public relations. Individual publishing is not a threat to new public relations specialists like me, but a great opportunity. These communities of bloggers can bring increased PR for brands, communities, and companies alike.

As a personal social media user, I am familiar with the opportunities PR has with online social media networking. The need to share something, whether it’s a blog, a video, a picture, or a purchase, drives consumers and empowers them with technology. Now that I have created and maintained by own blog, I can consider my blogging history an asset to my public relations skills. Social networking sites like Facebook or MySpace can also be PR tools for a brand image. My knowledge of current social media and social networking trends is can also assist my in the PR profession. I know that these new PR outlets are an opportunity for me as a new public relations specialist.

 

1 comment:

Adam said...

I couldn't agree with you more. With the increase in technology there has been a significant increase in the PR role in society and assignments such as this blog give us a chance to experience this social networking that will prepare us for the future.